SPRUCE on SERIALS
Here you will find serial-fiction related topics of all kinds. This page will be continuously updated. We apologize for the “under construction” state it will have before we manage to add everything we want!
Because they are cool, short, cheap and many.
HOW WE THINK?
Serial fiction is the sign of the times: Shorter attention span. Fantastic new publishing tools and peoples wish for short escapes from a dull reality…
This is all brand new. OR?
Serial fiction has always been there. Here are some very well known examples of different kinds of serial fiction:
- Charles Dickens, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and other famous writers published their works piece by piece in serial magazines in the 19th century .
- Pulp serials like Doc Savage and Jonas Fjeld (Norwegian pulp hero) with their character driven plots exploded in the 1920s and continued up thru the 50s. These cheap paperback books sold millions of copies world wide.
- Romantic paperback serials such as Barbra Cartland´s and Margit Sandemo´s increased their popularity in the second half of the 20th century and continued to be massively popular up until today… (and yes they are still doing good.)
In the last years an undergrowth of Serial Fiction has appeared on the new digital arena. The new tools such as smart phones, iPads and other reading devices has made publishing and distribution of written work, cheaper and easier. It has also changed the reading habits of many people.
Dr. SPRUCE BOOKS ARE ONE OF THE FIRST NEW PUBLISHERS FOCUSING ON SERIAL BOOKS ONLY.
SO WHAT MAKES A GOOD SERIAL?
- A GOOD SERIAL has a unique idea.
- A GOOD SERIAL has a unique universe of characters.
- A GOOD SERIAL has well made, self concluding episodes.
- A GOOD SERIAL develops over time. In different levels.
- A GOOD SERIAL is something you like to wait for.
- A GOOD SERIAL is high quality. (Could be high quality bullshit too)
- And all in all…
- A GOOD SERIAL gets you hooked.
This is what we at Dr. SPRUCE BOOKS had in mind when we developed our publishing idea. Short episode-based serials published as books. Not only as E-books but also as P-books.
We will release books on regular and irregular basis. This depends on the category of the serial.
When a serial get to a certain point it will be released as a “season”. If a serial gains enough momentum, it may continue for multiple “seasons”, each one fitting intricately with the others to form a larger whole.
As a reader you will be able to engage the author more directly after a new episode has been launched. (This will vary from serial to serial.) Dr. SPRUCE BOOKS will host forums for each serial, making it easier for the readers and the authors to engage.
Dr. SPRUCE HOME-BREWN SERIAL CATEGORIES:
- THE ULTRA SHORT: Published as e-books chapter by chapter in regular intervals. (e.g. every week, every two weeks, every month etc). When enough chapters are made, they will be put together as a “season” and published as an E-book and P-book.
- THE LONG SHORT: Published as a traditional (less than 100 pages) short-novel serial on non regular basis. (maybe 3-5 books a year) This will also form “seasons” collected in book packages. Both as E-books and P-books
An episode is a book. (E-book and/or P-book)
This will be the equivalent of what you find in the TV series. After a given period of time, the Serial will conclude in a “SEASON”. In the ULTRA SHORT format this will be released as a book (Both E-book and P-book). In the LONG SHORT categories there will be released box sets of P-books and packages of E-books.
All books are categorized after an estimated reading time.
This is symbolized with small clock icons and a number. As reading time is very individual, our estimate has to be considered as a qualified guess.
Dr. SPRUCE LIKES DIGITAL PUBLISHING:
E-BOOKS: All books available in ePub + MOBI formats.
Dr. SPRUCE LIKES THE GOOD OLD PAPER BOOK:
P-BOOKS: All books available in beautiful 5″x8″ /12.7 x 20.3 cm paperback.